If you are a graphic designer and looking for tips to get your first graphic design jobs or full-time graphic design jobs then you have come to the right place. Finding a graphic design job is real tricky, but here are top ten ways to get exposure and land a job within a week.
1. Get A Business Card:
Nobody really knows what grades you got. This is your first step. Make an impression and design a professional business card for yourself. Make sure you are clear about what you do. Do list services that you don’t do. Some people think its cool to have a long list of services. Keep your business card short and sweet, but bare in mind that uniqueness is the key. Make your business card stand out. If you don’t have a business card, have them made up immediately.
2. Get A Website or Make A 1 Page Portfolio: When you surf the Internet, the first impression you get from a Web site is its design. Much like a storefront, it either looks attractive and professional, or it looks shoddy and questionable. A powerful Web site design creates a sense of trust and respect between you and your on-line visitors. If you were like me and you did not know how to design your website, print your design and make a portfolio It’s 2010 people c’mon there are 1000 sites where you can publish your work for free and put the link on your business card or facebook. Flickr, Deviant art are few to name. You can even design a free website with google. So don’t blame the money, there are ways around getting a site without spending a penny.
3. Start Looking: Believe me customers won’t come to you. You have to find your customers, and know your location, and target. Post free classified ads online. Post ads on craigslist. Go to local stores in your neighborhood, introduce yourself and let them know what you do, and hand the business owner your business card. Meeting one on one with your client gives them trust, and by meeting them they will remember you later if they need design services.
4. Stay Connected: Facebook, Twitter, and Blogger are the top social sites that will bring your work, traffic, and attention. Imagine having 200 friends on facebook. Let them know about your website, at least 50 of those 200 will check, and most likely 5 will share the site with one or two other people. Even if you land two jobs out of posting a new status about your site which will take 20 seconds, that is two jobs itself!!! What, don’t have a mailing list? Start collecting customer information so you can get one! Use this mailing list to push out information about new products or services, give a special deal to your mailing list, share information with them, etc.
5. Advertise Yourself: Door-hangers on doorknobs. Hand out flyers, and brochures. Create a design that makes your business to stand out.
6. Work For Somebody: I don’t have a job, how can i work for someone? Sometimes its ok to work for free, but as long as you know who you are working for. If you are doing graphic design, you probably should work at a place that is related to graphics. Learn the tricks, learn how people deal with clients, learn how to price yourself. Before you even design, you need the client’s go ahead sign, and that all goes back to how you treat your client. Internships look good on resumes, but then again take my word “There is nothing like THE REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE!” go out there and learn on it from someone and on your own.
7. Make Mistakes: Every artist, or designer has that long bitter story of how their idea got stolen or someone robbed them of their money, and on and on and on… You won’t learn till you make mistakes. You won’t succeed till you fail. It will take a long time to get to where you are because the design world is constantly changing and so are people’s needs. Go ahead! Make mistakes! It will built you up for the next project and client.
8. Get on Google and Yahoo: This free service from Google is beginning to replace the YellowPages as the dominant source for local business information. Your business information gets displayed in search results on Google which is the highest traffic website in world. Yahoo provides the same service!
9. Car Magnets: For less than $100, you can now get a pair of custom magnetic signs delivered right to your door. That has got to be one of the best overall advertising bargains on the planet! The magnetic sign material can be sized to fit your door perfectly. Take your advertising on the road with you.
10. Everyday To Do List: 1. Design Something New 2. Learn Something New About What You Do 3. Make Calls or Email Potential Clients 4. Update Your Blog or Website 5. Think of Creative Ways to Promote Yourself 6. Make A Friend or Speak To Another Designer 7. Stay Up To Date With Graphic Design World 8. Don’t Give up 9. Stay Positive 10. Your Creativity is needed in this world! Focus on that and the money will follow!
I wish all of you the best out there. If you have your own list, or have suggestions or questions, please feel free to comment and share with others. Thank you all.